Monday, October 20, 2008

It's Horrifying

I responded in a comment that I should post this story, so here I am, posting it.

When I was teaching fifth grade, my students had a knack for getting me off topic. This particular science lesson, I was following a rabbit trail, discussing genetics as it related to the human genome project and Genesis. I completely forgot that I was dealing with ten-year-olds who might not yet have had "the talk" with their parents.

So at one point I said, "You all know you get some of your genes from your mom and some from your dad, right?" A few nodded, most looked blank (as they were wont to do when I went down rabbit trails).

One student, however, piped up, "Hey, wait. If your mom is the one that has you, how do your dad's genes get in you?"

Oops. While I floundered for the appropriate response, I was saved by one student who apparently had had "the talk."

He turned around to the questioner with a very serious look on his face and said, "You don't want to know. It's horrifying."

I took that opportunity to go back to the actual lesson.

4 comments:

LOS ATKINS said...

hey jen. great story! amanda had a good laugh. it was good to hear from you. our Mandarin isn't faring much better. it's quite a difficult language. but we're managing to survive. hands signals and a big grin work miracles! hope all is well. say hi to joe and the dogs for us! love dan and amanda

Lisa said...

ha ha, that is a crack up. Miss you guys, hope you are well. Hope to see you soon

Jean said...

I loved this story! I actually used it in my university sociology class today, when we were discussing socialization and where kids learn about sex and sexualities. It provided a great moment of comic relief - not to mention leading into an interesting discussion of just what the students had learned from their elementary school classmates! Thanks!!!
Jean

Jen in SLO said...

Glad you all liked it. Atkins y Spears, we miss you all too!

Jean, I feel almost famous. LOL