Saturday, October 2, 2010

Dairy Free Dessert!

I was bringing a dessert to a dinner with friends this evening, and I knew at least one nursing mom would not be able to have any dairy. I searched a few vegan and dairy-free recipe sites and quickly realized that my choices were limited to recipes made with less than natural ingredients or to ones with wacky ingredients that I didn't have or even know how to get - especially not cheaply and quickly! Things like kudzu powder, fortified rice protein powder, and agar. Isn't agar the stuff you grow bacteria on?

In desperation, I ransacked my cabinet for something sweet and dairy-free and came up with Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn! The only problem was how to stick the cinnamon and sugar to the popcorn.

Coconut oil to the rescue! The result was really yummy even if you don't have to avoid dairy, and I am munching on some of the leftovers as I type!

COCONUT CINNAMON SUGAR POPCORN
1/2 cup popcorn kernels, air-popped
2 tbsp melted coconut oil (3 tbsp would be okay for a stronger coconut flavor)
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.

Quickly drizzle oil over hot popcorn. You want to work fast because coconut oil resolidifies quickly and you want to be sure to get the cinnamon/sugar mixture on before the coconut cools.
Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over popcorn.

I like to use a bowl with a lid and shake the whole thing to completely coat the popcorn.

The result is a cheap, low-calorie, dairy-free dessert with just a hint of tropicalness. Yum!

No comments: