I thought I'd start posting little "quick tips" of things I learned that made me think "You can do that?!?" and "Why haven't I done this always?!"
Tip 1: Boil your ground beef.
Not only is this method of browning ground beef practically fool proof, it's also mess proof and results in lean, practically fat-free meat.
I prefer to make my own (stay tuned for that tip), but you can do it to regular packaged ground beef. The best part is that it doesn't matter what level of lean/fat you get because the boiling will help you separate the meat from the fat.
I find that $1.99 for the 15% is comparable to spending $2.19 for the 7% when you compare the cost per pound of the cooked yield of each variety. I almost never see $2.19 for 7%, but $1.99 for 15% occurs every 15-18 weeks. Using this method means that you can buy the cheaper version and not be too concerned about excess fat.
PROCEDURE
Step 1.
Place ground beef in a large pot.
Step 2.
Cover beef with water.
Step 3.
Turn on heat to boil for 5-10 minutes. Simmer until all pink is gone, stirring very occasionally to break up the clumps.
Step 4.
Let cool to room temp and then refrigerate. The fat will rise to the top and congeal. Simply spoon it off and throw it away.
Step 5.
Drain & portion beef to be frozen for later use. One and two cup portions work well for most recipes. You can choose to season it now or later. I prefer to leave it plain and season it as needed.
SUGGESTIONS FOR USE
1. Add to pasta sauce
2. Have a quick & easy taco night - simmer until heated through with taco seasoning and a little water
3. Stuff a bell pepper - mix with brown rice and fill a hollowed out bell pepper
4. Use for Multi-tasking Mexican Mash
5. Create sloppy Joes -- add sloppy Joe mix or bbq sauce and serve on rolls
6. Fake a shepherd's pie - Use your favorite recipe, but skip browning the meat. Just simmer with the onion and garlic until heated through. Then carry on with the recipe.
7. Top a potato or mix with breakfast potatoes.
1 year ago




No comments:
Post a Comment