Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thirty Days of Thrifting: ~~~~Days One and Two

I kind of cheated on Day One. It had already passed when I wrote my original "Thirty Days of Thrifting" post. And that Ralph Lauren skirt I used as an example? I already bought it. For $3.50.


I couldn't figure out how to show you the whole skirt without modeling it, and I didn't want to fuss with self-timers and self-consciousness. That's why you get to see the label. Notice how I artfully allowed you to see the word "petite" but covered the actual size? That's not an accident. And I haven't worn a "petite" since high school. I *red puffy heart* Ralph Lauren.

Is Ralph Lauren even considered a good brand anymore? Never mind. I don't want to know. I'm probably dating myself. At the very least showing my appalling ignorance of fashion.

The skirt is well-made, classic, and fits. That's enough for me.

Also in the category of "Am I dating myself with my appreciation for this brand?" -- a Guess Jeans wool sweater. Also for $3.50 and seemingly unworn. Not a pill or a snag to be seen on the sweater.

Rounding out the purchases for Day One were three shirts from a variety of better manufacturers, one with the tags still attached, and another sweater from a manufacturer I didn't recognize. But it seemed well-made and was in good condition. Altogether, I purchased six quality items that I can wear to work for $21.53, including tax.

Day Two was hectic as I miscalculated the amount of time it would take me to get some errands finished, so I only had time for a quick dash into the San Luis Obispo Goodwill. This store was not nearly as nice as Arroyo Grande's, and the staff was not nearly as friendly. In fact, they were a little snippy. I definitely recommend Arroyo Grande Goodwill if you're trying to decide.

Anyway, I immediately headed for the book section to see what they might have on my list. To my surprise, I found not one, not two, not even a mere three Dick Francis books, but FOUR hardcover titles. It's rare I find a Dick Francis book even in a used book store, so I was excited to see all four.

I stacked them up and took a picture. The teenage girls trying on shoes next to me scooted over a bit so as not to be too close to the crazy lady.


Ultimately, though, I passed on all but one. I already own two, and I couldn't bring myself to spend $3 on each book when in about a week, the same books would be only $1. I did get Dead Heat just in case someone else was looking for Dick Francis and not waiting for the book sale.

Then I stuffed the other one on the bottom shelf where you have to bend down and peer to see the titles.

I walked quickly down the housewares aisle, keeping an eye out for cast iron and letters. I did find letters, but after getting them home, I realized I need to be more specific about what I'm looking for in a letter. I knew they'd need quite a bit of sprucing up, but they also might be a little on on the small side. However, they were only 99 cents for all three, so that was a cheap mistake.

As I took my treasures up to the register, I passed an unopened box of 12 Kerr's wide mouth canning jar lids for $1. Since I use wide mouth canning jars with my Foodsaver, I grabbed those, even though they weren't on my list. Uh-oh.

It was a savings of a little more than $2, and I really do use them frequently. Really.

I was surprised that even with just a quick dash, I did manage to find 3 "worthy of purchase items," even if one of the purchases (the set of letters) turned out to be maybe not so worthy.



Next week, I'll be working from 8 to 5. When you add working Monday night at puppy class, hosting girls' night on Wednesday after Feisty Fido class, and going to the fair, I'm not sure when I'll actually have time to get into a thrift store. Maybe I should have thought out this challenge a little more thoroughly.

Tomorrow: Old Mission School Thrift Shop

1 comment:

Jill said...

I still get excited about RL stuff, so we can be dated nerds together.