To make up for missing my goal of "one a day" ON THE FIRST DAY of my resolution.
I actually had this thought over Thanksgiving... we hosted both sides of the family at once. I was busily planning menus and hosting activities. I had to get a green bean recipe, 'cause that's what HIS family always does. But then I had to find out if MY family liked green beans (I certainly don't, but that's a given). Then, what about stuffing? What kind of stuffing was traditional for both families? What did HIS family do for lunch? Would it fit with what MY family did for lunch? MY family always have those brown and serve squishy rolls for Thanksgiving. What kind of rolls do HIS family have? Would apple pies be all right? Or was pumpkin the tradition? It was quite stressful.
And then I realized that this was OUR thanksgiving. Not THEIRS. Not even HIS or MINE. It was OURS. So we got to do WHATEVER we WANTED. Hee! What fun.
Once that realization dawned on me, Thanksgiving planning beacme a whole lot less stressful (though cleaning up still required a 3 p.m. panic call to my mom for help - his mom had never seen our house since it becamse OUR house. It had to be perfect.)
As for our new traditional foods: We had green beans sauteed in bacon. Full fat gravy. A turkey roasted with herbed butter slathered under the skin. Cornbread stuffing made with a cube of butter and a can of evaporated milk. Mashed potatoes whipped with a block of cream cheese and a tub of sour cream. A pomegranate salad with blue cheese crumbles. And San Luis Sourdough rolls, dripping with butter.
And apple pies baked by Mrs. W and a "snack lunch" for munching throughout the day... 'cause some traditions are sacred. :)
1 year ago




No comments:
Post a Comment