Sunday, August 1, 2010

Microwave Popcorn Update!

Sumiko and Kimiko at Near To Nothing shared about homemade microwave popcorn about the same time that I had the idea to share about it. We have a few Facebook friends in common, and I didn't want them to think I was copying their idea, but I decided my scatter-brained, slightly neurotic blog was different enough from their organized, efficient kitchen blog that it wouldn't seem that way at all.

However, I did notice a comment on their post (or maybe it was Kimiko's Facebook page, I forget) from someone who said she had purchased a special bowl to make microwave popcorn in. You can buy one from the Amish for $10, or you can go to CurioCity online and buy a $13 version. Cooking.com and Amazon.com sell the exact same bowl (though one calls it a 3-quart and one calls it a 12-cup) for $10 and $8 respectively.

All of this made me think back to my revelation that the super-special, microwave-friendly, high-tech bags
were not all that super-special. Very likely these super-special, microwave-friendly, high-tech bowls are not all that super-special either.

So I put a couple of spoonfuls of popcorn kernels in a glass bowl and tossed a lid haphazardly over the top. Two minutes later, I had popped corn and a too-hot-to-handle glass bowl. That might be the reason the bowls for sale are all plastic, but since I don't like to buy plastic if I don't have to, and all my bowls are glass, I'm willing to use a pot holder.

So that's a fun update to the microwave popcorn post! If you don't want to keep lunch bags on hand, just use a bowl.

But an even more fun update to the micrwave popcorn post is Kimiko's Chocolate-Caramel Corn Recipe

Go over there and read it right now. I will be making some ASAP.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

This is so great! I have good memories of popcorn eating when I was a kid (mostly from my Grandma's air popper), but now I'm almost always disappointed when I make some. It's always either burnt, or chemical tasting, or both. I'm definitely trying this method. Sounds so yummy!!

Jen in SLO said...

I hope you get to enjoy some yummy popcorn soon! :)