Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Quick Tip: Speed Up Slow Drains Cheaply and Safely

I was reminded of this yesterday while cleaning my tub. If you have a slow moving drain (not a totally clogged one), you can fix it with baking soda and vinegar.

Simply take a cup or so of baking soda and pour it down the drain. I like to add water to it to make it a goopy consistency that I can pour.

Pour a cup of vinegar down the drain and immediately plug the drain with a washcloth or the drain stopper.

The reaction between the vinegar and baking soda will loosen the "gunk" in the drain, and the gas build up will push the "gunk" down the drain. Once all the fizzing stops (you'll hear it), you can run hot water down the drain for a minute or two.

Presto! Clear running drains again.

1 comment:

JRM said...

Not to mention this is just plain fun!